Tuesday, August 14, 2007

¨Workin´ Hard in Ecuador!¨


I got back yesterday from an amazing 7 days in Tosagua building with two different brigadas from the States. One brigada was a group of 12 high school students from different states along with two leaders and the other group was 13 engineering students from Georgia Tech along with a physics professor and a staff advisor.

I´m planning on writing a full blog later with all the details but I am leaving this afternoon to go to a 3- day conference in a nature retreat called Mindo about 2 hours outside of Quito. All of my co-workers from the four Habitat offices are going and we will spend the time getting to know each other, working on the new vision for Habitat Ecuador and making plans for the future. I´m excited to not only meet all the other staff but also to explore Mindo. Its an ecological center and apparently has beautiful birds, butterflies and waterfalls. I´m thinking about spending the weekend or at least Saturday there as well.

In the meantime though, I´ve uploaded all my pictures from the last week and arranged them into a Flickr set. There are 323 pics that I whittled down from 448 so pace yourself! I did write captions on a lot of them so you can learn a little bit about the groups and about how building works in Tosagua.


As you´ll see, we had a great time with a lot of different activities. Building was hard but fun although I think we´d all agree that meeting the local Habitat workers and families was the best part. The town of Tosagua may not look very beautiful but the people are incredibly warm and generous. It definately lives up to its nickname as ¨the heart of Manabi province¨.

No comments: